Addressing BFA Coding – Ophthalmology Management
The Ocular Blood Flow Analyzer (BFA), manufactured by Paradigm Medical Industries (Salt Lake City), may have value to the clinician in assessing the early onset of some ocular diseases, such as glaucoma and diabetic retinopathy. Like other new technologies, there are significant questions about reimbursement for this test. I will address many of them in this column.
This article answers the following questions:
- What does the BFA measure?
- Does Medicare cover testing with the BFA?
- Which CPT code is most appropriate?
- If coverage is uncertain or unlikely, how should I proceed?
- What are the documentation requirements?
- May we bill for a BFA test on the same day as other services?
This article was published in Ophthalmology Management’s Coding & Reimbursement column, which is written by Corcoran’s Executive Vice-President, Suzanne Corcoran, COE. To view the entire article in Ophthalmology Management, click on the link below: