Cataract Surgery, Comanagement & CMS – Ophthalmology Management
As refractive cataract surgery becomes more popular, questions about comanagement become more frequent. Here is what you need to know for Medicare billing.
This article answers the following questions:
- Is comanagement permitted when patients undergo cataract surgery with premium IOLs?
- May the noncovered physician services be comanaged?
- What is included in the package of noncovered physician services?
- How is the value of this package determined?
- In a comanagement situation, how is the value of this package divided between the two physicians?
- Who should obtain a financial waiver in reference to noncovered services?
- May the surgeon collect a single fee for all of the noncovered services and pay the referring doctor for his services?
This article was published in Ophthalmology Management’s Coding & Reimbursement column, which is written by Corcoran’s Executive Vice-President, Suzanne Corcoran, COE. To view the entire article in Ophthalmology Management, click on the link below: