CXL wins FDA approval, so prepare to code – Ophthalmology Management
Corneal collagen cross-linking is a fairly new procedure to treat certain corneal diseases. As is often the case, there are lots of questions about coverage from third-party payers at this point.
This article addresses the following questions:
- What is corneal collagen cross-linking?
- What conditions are treated with CXL?
- Has CXL been approved by the FDA?
- What CPT code describes CXL?
- Is CXL covered by Medicare or health insurance?
- If coverage of CXL is unlikely or uncertain, how should we proceed?
This article was published in Ophthalmology Management’s Coding & Reimbursement column, which is written by Corcoran’s Executive Vice-President, Suzanne Corcoran, COE. To view the entire article in Ophthalmology Management, click on the link below: