EMR No Cure for Garbage In, Garbage Out – Ophthalmology Management
Electronic medical records (EMR) are being widely adopted. The federal government is encouraging this adoption with bonuses paid to practices that successfully implement EMR. However, for all the benefits EMR offers practices, don’t be lulled into a false sense of security: Coding errors are still possible.
This article answers the following questions:
- What are some advantages of EMR?
- How do we avoid problems associated with cloned records?
- What other issues should we consider with EMR?
- What pitfalls should we be aware of?
- What do you mean by nonsense entries?
- Are there any other issues we need to consider?
This article was published in Ophthalmology Management’s Coding & Reimbursement column, which is written by Corcoran’s Executive Vice-President, Suzanne Corcoran, COE. To view the entire article in Ophthalmology Management, click on the link below: