External Photography Puzzles – Ophthalmology Management
External photography can be a useful tool to the ophthalmologist, although the Medicare rules on billing can sometimes be confusing. Here is my attempt to clear them up for you.
This article answers the following questions:
- Does Medicare cover external photography?
- What documentation is required in the medical record?
- What CPT code describes this test, and how is it paid?
- How often may this test be repeated?
- What about bundles with other services?
- What are Medicare’s supervision rules?
- If Medicare doesn’t cover external photography, may I charge the patient?
This article was published in Ophthalmology Management’s Coding & Reimbursement column, which is written by Corcoran’s Executive Vice-President, Suzanne Corcoran, COE. To view the entire article in Ophthalmology Management, click on the link below: