Telemedicine Coding Basics – Ophthalmology Management
Many people have difficulty accessing appropriate eye care because of illness or infirmity, or because of transportation or distance problems. Ophthalmic telemedicine holds hope for these patients — but it also holds some coding challenges for eyecare providers. This month, I’ll discuss the basics you should know.
This article answers the following questions:
- What is telemedicine?
- Are there CPT codes for ophthalmic telemedicine?
- What is the difference between these codes?
- Who uses these codes?
- Does Medicare cover these services?
- Are there any coding bundles or other limitations?
- Must a physician be present while these tests are being performed?
- What is the reimbursement for these codes?
This article was published in Ophthalmology Management’s Coding & Reimbursement column, which is written by Corcoran’s Executive Vice-President, Suzanne Corcoran, COE. To view the entire article in Ophthalmology Management, click on the link below: