The 2021 E/M Data Area—Updated Already – Review of Ophthalmology
The new codes, changes and quality-of-care requirements you need to know about to be prepared for the year to come.
This article addresses the following questions:
- What did the AMA change as it relates to the Time-based code option for E/M?
- What are the changes related to categorizing the ordering of tests under the Data area when using MDM instead of time?
- What’s the AMA’s determination on what constitutes ‘independent interpretation’ under the Data area, as opposed to a “review of test”?
- Do the letters I send to the primary care doctors of my diabetic patients count as “Discussion” under the Data area of MDM so that I could have the “Moderate” level?
- Are there any other important clarifications to the Data area?
- I often get referrals from outside doctors in my glaucoma practice and they include old visual fields and OCTs of the nerve. How do I categorize them?
This article was published in Review of Ophthalmology’s Medicare Q & A column, which is written by Corcoran’s Senior Consultant, Paul M. Larson, MBA, MMSc, COMT, COE, CPC, CPMA. To view the entire article in Review of Ophthalmology, click on the link below: