The once-in-awhile UBM test is uncommon no longer – Ophthalmology Management
Once an uncommon test, ultrasonic biomicroscopy has been garnering increased interest from some ophthalmologists. If you’re one of them, here’s what you need to know about coding for it.
This article addresses the following subjects:
- What is ultrasonic biomicroscopy?
- What are the indications for UBM?
- What CPT code describes UBM?
- What documentation is required to support a claim?
- Is UBM covered by Medicare and other third-party payers?
- What is Medicare’s supervision requirement for UBM?
- If UBM is performed for a noncovered indication, who is responsible for reimbursement?
- Is UBM bundled with other services?
- How often may this test be repeated?
This article was published in Ophthalmology Management’s Coding & Reimbursement column, which is written by Corcoran’s Executive Vice-President, Suzanne Corcoran, COE. To view the entire article in Ophthalmology Management, click on the link below: