Understanding Modifier 24 – Ophthalmology Management
Confusion continues about when it is appropriate to use modifier 24 and other modifiers following surgery. This month I will attempt to clear up some of the mystery.
This article answers the following questions:
- Are all exams during the postoperative period included in the global surgical fee?
- What does modifier 24 mean?
- What does “unrelated” mean in this context?
- May modifier 24 be used to report the decision to perform cataract surgery in the opposite eye?
- Will utilization of modifier 24 trigger a postpayment audit?
- Should modifier 24 be used to report a diagnostic test in the global surgery period?
- What other modifiers pertain to surgery in the global period?
This article was published in Ophthalmology Management’s Coding & Reimbursement column, which is written by Corcoran’s Executive Vice-President, Suzanne Corcoran, COE. To view the entire article in Ophthalmology Management, click on the link below: