What EHR Promotion Means for You – Ophthalmology Management
Congress wants to promote the use of electronic health records (or as it is more commonly referred to, electronic medical records) and has allocated funds for bonus payments to those physicians who move to EHR (or EMR, if you prefer). While we don’t have all of the information yet, and guidelines have yet to be published, we do know the broad outlines.
This article answers the following questions:
- What financial incentive is there to implement EHR in the next few years?
- Who is eligible for a bonus?
- What is “meaningful use”?
- If I qualify, how much is the bonus?
- Is there a penalty for not adopting EMR?
- I already have an EMR system; may I receive the bonus now?
- May I participate in the E-Prescribing bonus program as well as this EMR incentive program?
This article was published in Ophthalmology Management’s Coding & Reimbursement column, which is written by Corcoran’s Executive Vice-President, Suzanne Corcoran, COE. To view the entire article in Ophthalmology Management, click on the link below: