When Medicare Pays Second – Ophthalmology Management
Most of us are accustomed to thinking of Medicare as the primary payer at all times. But there are cases where another payer is primary and Medicare is secondary. Here is what you need to know in these instances.
This article answers the following questions:
- What is Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP)?
- Who is likely to present with MSP coverage in our office?
- How do we identify patients with MSP coverage?
- What information is necessary for Medicare to process a claim for MSP payment?
- How do we calculate what MSP will pay on a claim?
This article was published in Ophthalmology Management’s Coding & Reimbursement column, which is written by Corcoran’s Executive Vice-President, Suzanne Corcoran, COE. To view the entire article in Ophthalmology Management, click on the link below: