Extended Deadline for Revised ABN
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) unveiled a new Advanced Beneficiary Notice (ABN) on March 3, 2008, with an implementation date originally slated for September 1, 2008. The implementation date has been revised to March 1, 2009. Providers and suppliers may begin using the new form at any time but and must implement it no later than the March 2009 deadline.
Several form changes have been made. They include:
- A new name; It is now called “Advance Beneficiary Notice of Noncoverage”. It will still be known as an ABN.
- It combines two forms into one; separate forms for general use and lab services are no longer necessary.
- May replace the NEMB form. A notice of exclusion is still optional. The new ABN can be used to notify patients of exclusion from coverage.
- Requires cost estimate to be completed. The old ABN provides a place to fill in estimated cost but its completion was optional.
- Adds a third option for patients indicating that they want to receive the item or service but do not want Medicare billed.
For additional information, please call us @ 1-800-399-6565 and ask for our Advance Beneficiary Notice FAQ.