Final Medicare Contractor Changes Announced
The Medicare Modernization Act of 2003 contained numerous provisions to change the Medicare fee-for-service administrative structure. One of those changes includes integration of the Medicare Parts A and B administrative functions for the fee-for-service program. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) awarded contracts to the final five jurisdictions for new Medicare Administrative Contractors in early January 2009.
The January announcement included the following:
• Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin – Noridian Administrative Services, LLC
• Indiana and Michigan – National Government Services
• Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee – Cahaba GBA
• North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia – Palmetto GBA
• Kentucky and Ohio – Highmark Medicare Services.
These latest transitions will occur during 2009. Watch your carrier website for announcements about upcoming changes.