The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) continues to publish important information relating to ICD-10 implementation. ICD-10-CM codes will be required on claims for dates of service starting October 1, 2014.
MLM Matters MM8348, published September 6, 2013, announced that ICD-10 Local Coverage Decisions (LCDs) and ICD-10 articles published in the Medicare Coverage Database will be published no later than April 10, 2014.
In addition, Medicare contractors are prepared to accept the revised CMS-1500 form starting January, 2014, which includes revisions to accommodate ICD-10 diagnosis codes. CMS published the following information in June.
Revised CMS 1500 Paper Claim Form: Version 02/12
The National Uniform Claim Committee (NUCC), an industry organization in which CMS participates, maintains the CMS 1500 claim form and periodically revises it according to industry needs. The NUCC recently revised this form (version 02/12). The NUCC changed the form to adequately accommodate and implement ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes, although the form does include other changes as well. More information is available on the NUCC website.
On June 10, 2013, the White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB) approved the revised CMS 1500 claim form, version 02/12, OMB control number, 0938-1197. The CMS 1500 claim form is the required format for submitting claims to Medicare on paper.
Features of the Revised Form
The revised form, among other changes, notably adds the following functionality:
• Indicators for differentiating between ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes.
• Expansion of the number of possible diagnosis codes to 12.
• Qualifiers to identify the following provider roles (on item 17):
Instructions for Completing the Revised Form
CMS is updating the Medicare Claims Processing Internet Only Manual (IOM, Pub. 100-04) Chapter 26 to instruct contractors and providers regarding how to complete the revised form. CMS will post this information on the CMS website when it is available.
Tentative Timeline for Implementing the Revised Form for Medicare Claims
Medicare anticipates implementing the revised CMS 1500 claim form (version 02/12) as follows:
• January 6, 2014: Medicare begins receiving and processing paper claims submitted on the revised CMS 1500 claim form (version 02/12).
• January 6 through March 31, 2014: Dual use period during which Medicare continues to receive and process paper claims submitted on the old CMS 1500 claim form (version 08/05).
• April 1, 2014: Medicare receives and processes paper claims submitted only on the revised CMS 1500 claim form (version 02/12).
These dates are tentative and subject to change. CMS will provide more information as it is available.
It appears that CMS is preparing for ICD-10, are you? Please visit our website for ICD-10 workshop locations to prepare you and your staff for ICD-10!