Safe Surgery Checklist for Ambulatory Surgery Centers
This year, one of the two structural reporting measures for ASCs is a “Safe Surgery Checklist”. Beginning October 1, 2012, your ASC will be required to attest to the use of a Safe Surgery checklist for the period January 1 to December 31, 2012.
Although many organizations have sample checklists, they are broad and not specific to ophthalmology. Five organizations have worked together to create a sample checklist that meet this requirement.
· American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
· American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS)
· Outpatient Ophthalmic Surgery Society (OOSS)
· American Society of Ophthalmic Registered Nurses (ASORN)
· Ophthalmic Mutual Insurance Company (OMIC)
The document incorporates the input of providers, nurses, and malpractice carriers. We are grateful for their efforts. You can access the Safe Surgery Checklist at: http://www.ascrs.org/Government-Relations/asc-surgical-safety-checklist-ophthalmology.
If you have questions about this topic, please contact us at 800.399.6565.